What book are u reading now?

Tema en 'MISCELLANEOUS' iniciado por Juan_Camaney, 19 Sep 2009.

Juan_Camaney

Platinium Member

77%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I'm starting this thread in order to share some information between us about english authors. Personally, nowadays I'm reading this excellent novel of Tony Thompson, 'Gangs'. At first I bought it reluctantly cuz it didn't seem to be that entertained, but soon i realized that I was totally wrong. It's a novel about the british underworld, and has many stories about how the most famous UK's raids were committed, in the word of it's author from behind the bars. The book includes some histories about how Peruvian and Colombian dealers built a cocaine empire in London.

Which books can u recommend?

John Camaney

Juan_Camaney, 19 Sep 2009

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

jomercmdo

VIP MEMBER
    83%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Sorry Juan Camaney but my English is basic maybe en the future near four months I try to read Book in Ingles, Now it´s difficult for me.
    And next problem books are not very popular in Lima
    Where do you buy this book¨?

jomercmdo, 19 Sep 2009

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Juan_Camaney

Platinium Member

77%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    My dear friend, u have a wide display of english author's books in Amazonas street, in Lima downtown. I've gone there several times, and is so funny to walk around checking and seeking for the right book. Most of the stands are just for spanish books, but being patient and persevering u may make interesting discoveries. That will make up to u for the spent time.

I strongly recommend u to go over there and give an outlook. Its up to u.

John Camaney

Juan_Camaney, 20 Sep 2009

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A jomercmdo le gusta esto.

kermus

Usuario Baneado.

BANEADO
    100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    The thread is no close so i still i can post here. In first place sorry if my english is poor. Mostly i read books and it's been more or less two years since i talked with my friends from europe and US.
    I buy my books mostly from amazon, it's cheaper than the libraries in our country, but also i get some books here. In literature i was reading the complete works of Kipling, but in same tales he uses a lot of slang and variants, so it needs some imagination to discover the meaning, ha the sailors speech are funny anyway. In architecture i was reading the complete works of Tadao Ando, he's one of my favourite architect and the most awarded on the world, nevertheless the text is minimum cause it is in three languages: english, german and french. But the most fantastic architectural lecture i am reading is Opportunistic Architecture, the authors are LTL (Lewis TsurumakiLewis). They work with the concept of super rationalism, it's cool. In comic i was reading Final Crisis, a hardcover by Grant Morrison. I remember have read Dune by Frank Herbert, but i had the second volume and it was so bored, i prefer the first volume.
    Actually i have no much time, but if i had it i'd finish "in praise of idleness" by Bertrand Russell: a genius.
    Greetings brothers.

kermus, 29 Ago 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here.

Rhinox, thanks for reminding me about this thread.

Juan_Camaney, thanks much for the lead on where to get English books cheaply. They're very expensive in Miraflores, when you can find them.

I mostly read mysteries. Right now, I am going through Robert K. Tannenbaum's Butch Karp series of books. The one I am reading now is Act of Revenge.

RT Gooch, 29 Ago 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A kermus le gusta esto.

the visitor

Soldado

97%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I too have had a difficult time both finding books in english and then paying the elevated prices, so i download pirated books from torrent sites and print and bind them in the office. Most torrent sites, like btjunkie and pirate bay have the majority of titles in english. I know it's cheesy, but i don't care.

the visitor, 31 Ago 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

La-Mole

General

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Género:
    Masculino
    Profesión:
    vendo chicles en la puerta del chongo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WIZVeUgdC8
    You can buy a Reader's digest first, then if you're interested in read more but budget is really small you can buy reader's digest past editions but cheap as 3 or 2,5 soles at 3rd block of Cuzco Street (Lima Downtown near Icpna) that's the way to start (i guess)

La-Mole, 22 Sep 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A gunslinger le gusta esto.

gunslinger

PREMIER
    49%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    This is the book I'm reading now. It's a mistery novel, in the line of Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code".

The cost: 26 soles (US$ 9.25, including sales tax) in paperback edition at Zeta Bookstores, in La Molina. Expensive? Maybe for some people, but not outrageously expensive like those at the airport bookstores, at twice that price.

Gunslinger

gunslinger, 22 Sep 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

MirrorMaker

Recluta

0%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    'American Gods' and 'Smoke and Mirrors' by Neil Gaiman. Perfect neo-gothic literature.

MirrorMaker, 30 Sep 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A gunslinger le gusta esto.

Compartir esta página