Steak... Rare, please

Tema en 'PHRASES, LANGUAGES' iniciado por RT Gooch, 25 Ago 2011.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I like my steak rare. Very rare. Blood-dripping rare.

Just try to order that in Peru. Here's how the conversation usually goes:
    RT: Lomo, por favor. (Lomo, please)
    Mesero: Que Bueno. Pequno o grande? (Great. Small or Large?)
    RT: Grande! (duh)
    M: Que termino? Medio o tres cuatro? (How do you want it done? Medium or three quarters?)
    RT: Termino rojo. (red)
    M: Rojo?
    RT: Si... rojo. En vivo! Mucho menos que medio. Con sangre. (Yes... red. Alive! Much less than medium. All bloody.) ***NOTE: Sometimes, I even 'moo' for them***
    M: OK, medio. (OK, medium it is)
    This goes on for a while longer, and either the waiter finally gets the point, or, if I am with a local friend, they say (in Spanish), "Look, the gringo wants his steak rare." And usually, I wind up getting what I want.

But my question is: How do you order a rare steak in Lima without it taking fifteen minutes to get the point across?

Thanks.

RT Gooch, 25 Ago 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

electro

General

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Ingeniero
    Bisctec.. Poco cocido, Casi crudo con sangre... (i like rare to.. so this is how I order) hope it helps

electro, 26 Ago 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Riddler

Recluta

17%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    As a 14 y/o pup, I worked as a busboy in a steakhouse. On week-end nights, we would get a rush of drunks after the bars closed. One such individual, when asked how he wanted his steak, ordered from a straight-laced waitress with the following:

Knock off the horns, wipe its a$$ and lead it on out. (Haga caer los cuernos, limpia el culo y condúzcalo.) The waitress put a raw steak on a plate with a sprig of parsley and slam served it to him. He was drunk enough to eat it.My Spanish translation is of questionable accuracy (corrections are appreciated) but under appropriate circumstances, you might have some fun ordering this way.

Riddler, 10 Nov 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

Jack Jericho

MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

31%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Jokes apart, the convention is to order it "A la inglesa" (the English way) which actually means "rare - just sealed". Y usually add "Si lo clavo y no sangra, no lo quiero" (If I stab it and it doesn't bleed, I don't want it).

It works for me but there is a small inconvenience. Most of the meat at the best grills in Lima is imported and is kept frozen, they are supposed to thaw the meat for the day but sometimes they don't do it right so, on ocasion, my steak has been well sealed, tasty, juicy... but icy cold at its core. :mad:

Jack Jericho, 10 Nov 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Compartir esta página