Earthquake in Peru, Ica

Tema en 'MISCELLANEOUS' iniciado por RT Gooch, 15 Ago 2007.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Good evening. RT here.

I just got home and read about the terrible earthquake this evening in Peru.

I sincerely hope that all our friends, foristas, and their families are OK.

Please check in and let us know.

From a thread in the Spanish Forum, here are the official details:

Magnitude 7.5 Date-Time
    • Wednesday, August 15, 2007 at 23:40:58 UTC
    • Wednesday, August 15, 2007 at 06:40:58 PM at epicenter
    Location 13.322°S, 76.508°W Depth 40.7 km (25.3 miles) Region NEAR THE COAST OF CENTRAL PERU Distances
    • 43 km (27 miles) WNW (289°) from Chincha Alta, Peru
    • 110 km (68 miles) NW (316°) from Ica, Peru
    • 148 km (92 miles) SSE (157°) from LIMA, Peru
    Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.6 km (4.1 miles); depth +/- 10.9 km (6.8 miles) Parameters Nst=237, Nph=237, Dmin=151.9 km, Rmss=0.87 sec, Gp= 58°,
    M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6 Source
    • U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
      World Data Center for Seismology, Denver
    Event ID us2007gbcv

RT Gooch, 15 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

kgb_peru

Sargento

70%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Comercio Exterior
    Dear RT,

Until this moment more than 50 deaths and 300 injured people in Ica (150 Km from Lima) have been reported.

We hope that God doesn't punish us of a worse way.

Best regards,

kgb_peru, 15 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

TinTin

Soldado

90%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT - I managed to get hold of a load of my friends last night. Shaken - but OK!! Some damage to even new buildings in Miraflores. Text messaging works well - the cell circuits are jammed or are not working.

TinTin

TinTin, 16 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

West_Wind

Recluta

20%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Wow -- the news makes the earthquake impact sounds severe. Glad to hear that you guys are ok. I hope none of the favorite venues (e.g. RyVs) were affected. I can imagine it was pretty unnerving for those underground in TR -- owww.

I just returned last night from San Jose CR and was talking with several guys about a possible Lima trip in January. This earthquake may change decisions for some.

West_Wind, 16 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Bucefalo

MASTER MEMBER
    100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Communication by cell phone, little by little it's normalizing. Communication exists, but of very low quality.

Enough worries than the highway Panamericana, had broken in two. Telling it's has collapsed. The Pisco city is cut-off from communication totally. Lamentably that place, it's the epicenter of the earthquake.

Let's hope that calm comes back to all the Peruvian town.

Bucefalo, 16 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Amen.

RT Gooch, 16 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Homo_Lo_Gato

MASTER MEMBER
    75%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Acechando, oculto, en la selva de cemento.
    There is almost no real damage in Lima and the three deaths so far reported (In Lima) have been hearth failures (fear and old age), Fortunately most of Lima's houses and buildings are relatively new and law requires them to be designed to withstand earthquakes like this. So your girlfriend is most probably just fine.

As I said, there has been almost no damage and it includes R&V. As for TR... it was too early (6:40 pm), it was most probably closed.

Most of the damage has been in the city of Pisco (70% of the city is reportedly destroyed) and in the city of Chincha (40% destroyed). There's been a big earthquake around here every 5 years or so, but the last one this big happened in 1974, so most of us here were expecting a really big one anytime. This time there's been two earthquakes, one with epicenter at the sea 38 miles west of Pisco, 7.7 Richter, and the other one two minutes later, with epicenter in Chincha, northeast of Pisco, 7.5 Richter.

[​IMG]

Despite the tragedy, most of us here are relieved to have survived uninjured, knowing that the tectonic pressures that cause the earthquakes have been reduced, so another big earthquake in the near future is very unlikely.

Homo_Lo_Gato, 16 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Juan_Camaney

Platinium Member

77%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Don't forget a very important detail ... during the earthquake, a sort of green thunderlights were shinning in the sky ... what they were? some journalists says that they were a kind of magnetic power coming from the center of the world ... buy nobody really knows ...

To be true I think the end is near ...

Juan_Camaney, 16 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

TinTin

Soldado

90%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Homo_Lo_Gato:

The USGS have reported a "small" aftershock of 5.9, 105 miles south south-east of Lima by USGS. (Location 13.512°S, 76.467°W, Depth 31.9 km (19.8 miles) .)

Can you define "big"!! :)

Cuidate and stay safe!

TinTin

TinTin, 17 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Homo_Lo_Gato

MASTER MEMBER
    75%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Acechando, oculto, en la selva de cemento.
    By "big" I mean more than 7 Richter, those are the "killer" ones, known here as "terremotos". Other strong but not so big earthquakes, 5 - 6 Richter, are known here as "temblores" and usually cause no damage since even the poorest towns are prepared to withstand them, this being a seismic country.

After a big one, like this, there are always several aftershocks, most in the 2 - 3 Richter range, which go unnoticed by most people. Not so small ones (4 - 5 Richter) are to be expected but they tend to be very few and usually cease after five days or so. The Geophysics Institute says that, this time, aftershocks strong enough to be noticed by the people can be expected within two weeks after the main event.

Some say they are a natural phenomena called triboluminescence, some disagree, some even say they are UFOs. The truth is that very high amounts of energy are released by an earthquake as big as this last one, all that energy is bound to produce some kind of electromagnetic manifestation in the atmosphere, that is not so uncommon as some may think. Just type "Earthquake Lihgts" in Google and you'll have enouhg reading material to elaborate your own theory.

Homo_Lo_Gato, 17 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Bucefalo

MASTER MEMBER
    100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Last news, referred to the earthquake, it offers us a disagreeable news: Than exists unscrupulous people that are appropriating for oneself the donations once disaster's zone was destined to.

That news has really scandalized me, in such a way that it has gotten me very angry. I don’t come to understand as some people can commit something so vile.Diablito:mad:

Bucefalo, 21 Ago 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Compartir esta página