Looking for the Calle de Lentes (Eyeglasses)

Tema en 'SHOPPING & TRAVEL' iniciado por jes1959, 8 Abr 2007.

jes1959

Recluta

3%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Anyone have any recommendations for eye exams and glasses? I will be in town next week.

Jes

jes1959, 8 Abr 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Jerome

Recluta

27%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    There are thousands of places for that and very cheap. So the answer will deppend on where are you going to stay. I recommend Oftalmo Salud, in the Javier Prado Ave. a few blocks of Puente Quiñones (Quiñones bridge) comming from San Isidro. Just say the cab driver to take you there with this instructions and you'll be there easily. It's a 4 story building and you will see it without any problem.

Jerome, 10 May 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

tactalista

Recluta

30%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Hey all, I am going to try to save some cash by buying my new eye glasses while in Lima. I have heard there is actually a street that is one eye glass store after another. Does anyone know the street? Also, any advice on the process of getting transacting would be great. I'll need to get an exam as well since my old prescription is out of date...

Thanks in advance!

tactalista, 13 Ene 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Spinetta

Sargento

42%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Cucardero de corazón
    It's Rufino Torrico, but the stores are on the blocks after it crosses Emancipacion street. There are many eye glass stores over there, pretty cheap but don't expect great brands there. I recommend you to try Eyes Illution, GMO or another serious store in order to get a better exam and better glasses. Cheers.

Spinetta, 13 Ene 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. This is an excellent question.

First off, I currently have 4 pair of glasses (I purchased them during my September visit):

2 bifocal rimless
    1 distance rimless
    1 reading with rims

Total cost, including exam, was US$110 (I was quoted/paid in Soles). The girl apologized because they wouldn't be ready until 3:00 pm (it was 10:30 in the morning). I told her that I would return the next day; they were there waiting for me first thing in the morning.

Crappy Spanish was/is not an issue. 'Minimal' is plenty. It's not like you're discussing world politics. It's their job to get you examined, shopped, and selected. And you've bought glasses before -- the questions are the same in any language.

I didn't remember the street name offhand, but Spinetta (above) says that it is Rufino Torrico, and that rings a bell. What I did was ask a cab driver if he could take meto the street in Centro with all the glasses stores (Senor, yo necissito lentes. Tu sabes la calle en El Centro con muchas tiendas? - or something like that). They all know it: it's a two- or three-block strip with nothing but glasses stores (and more hidden ones). They're all seemingly identical, and when they don't have any customers, the employees stand in the street and try to talk you into buying from them (think Pizza Alley with Glasses). What I do is wander around until a pretty girl tries to sell me glasses, and that's who gets to be my salesperson.

You don't need me to tell you how to negotiate, just get prices up front. I've always been quoted one price for the frames, and then a separate one for the lenses. Tell them that you need to get an exam, too. They don't all have eye doctors, but they 'share' the few of them that are around. The girl will wait for you during your exam to make sure you come back to place your order with her.

Be sure to ask for a copy of your prescription -- it saved me a lot of time when I needed a replacement pair in a hurry!

As I said, I've had no problems, and it is both a very un-touristy thing to do (allowing me to pick up some local color) and it puts me in a part of Lima other than Miraflores/San Isidro, so I get to take advantage of that and go whoring in a different direction than I would normally. Or I just walk around a different part of Lima and see what I can find!

Hope this helps.

RT Gooch, 14 Ene 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

gunslinger

PREMIER
    49%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Folks:

The street I know is Av. Canevaro (a.k.a. Av. Francisco Pardo de Zela, depending on which side of Av. Arequipa you stand).

The aforementioned street crosses Av. Arequipa between blocks 17 & 18 (give or take a couple of blocks).

While you wait for your eye glasses, you can roam the streets of Lince, and visit some of the nearby massage parlors, saunas and whorehouses (check the Spanish section for further reference).

Good luck,

Gunslinger

gunslinger, 14 Ene 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Compartir esta página