La Choza Nautica / Brena / Cebicheria

Tema en 'Food and Restaurants' iniciado por Juan Alimaña, 28 Oct 2011.

Juan Alimaña

Teniente

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    La Choza Nautica
    Av. Brena 204 - 211

Brena/near Lima Centro
    Phone: 423-8087
    http://www./

[​IMG]

I’ve read somewhere that this restaurant had won first place for the best ceviche in Lima. I was passing through the neighborhood on the Metropolitano bus and decided to give it a try. The restaurant is on a side street about a block from the Espana bus station. During the day the area seemed relatively safe.

It was around 2pm and the 4-level restaurant was about 80-85% full. I decided to take a table on the top floor to enjoy the view (there’s no elevator). Sitting next to the bar, I was able to see the Sheraton Hotel and a bit of old Lima. The patrons were mostly young locals, including many females, having a good time. There are tv’s on each floor playing sports or telenovelas (spanish soap operas). The place is a bit noisy and not that romantic to take a formal date, but good enough to impress a local chibola.

I wanted to eat a ceviche and a parihuela, but the waiter wisely advised that two dishes could be too much and should try one first. He was right. After I finished my ceviche, I was too full to really enjoy a parihuela. . .so I left the parihuela for some other time.

My ceviche, Trio de Andre, consisted of three large martini glasses. One with octopus in an olive oil cream, the other with fresh seafood in a yellow pepper (aji Amarillo) cream, and the third, a typical Peruvian ceviche. All three were delicious. I washed it down with a cold Inca Kola. The bill was 31 soles ($11.40). I left a 5 soles tip.
    The service was good and the waiter was polite and attentive. If passing through the area during lunch time, I will definitely stop by for my parihuela.

Juan A.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Juan Alimaña, 28 Oct 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A 5440mapache2 y RT Gooch les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I'm always open to a recommendation from Juan Alimana, so I headed out to La Choza Nautica.

The one thing that I don't understand is why he was 'passing through the neighborhood'... there's really no reason to be there, other than to go to this restaurant. I found the right street (they have a banner hanging on the corner) off of Plaza Bolognesi in Centro Lima. I still wasn't 100% certain until I saw one of their trucks.

[​IMG]

Juan was right about the food; I just didn't pay any heed to his "Don't order too much" edict. I started with almejas (clams), moved on to the Causa Del Abuelo (stuffed with avacado and crab salad and topped with small pieces of fried fish), and finished it up with the Parihuela Especial Diabla.

Everything was outstanding, and the parihuela was chock full of seafood, and also featured two entire fish fillets floating around. I believe that the 'Diabla' referred to the concha negra included in the soup.

(Click on all photos to see larger versions)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Both Juan and everyone else should stop by the Choza Nautica for the parihuela, and some other stuff, too. I will certainly re-visit this restaurant if I were in the neighborhood again; I may have to think up a reason to be there.

RT Gooch, 4 Dic 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho y Juan Alimaña les gusta esto.

Skipper

PREMIER
    100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT Gooch, I just read all your ChozaNautica posts and I have to agree with your opinion on this nice and not too expensive restaurant.

I use to go there a few times per year, usually when I hang out with some friends that work in Lima Downtown (near 28July avenue) so is just the right place if it is a sunny day and you are looking for a nice ceviche or any other sea food.

I have to say that some of the female waitress are very good looking, thats something you may be able to show to the forum community with your pictures next time:rolleyes:

They are always looking you to get their "card" to get discounts, one of my friends have one of them so we always get some 10 or 20% discount (I dont remember the exact figure).

I usually ask there a four dished combination which is valued some 50-60 soles plus pisco sours or several beers and something else usually our bill is a little less 100 soles, which is enough meal to have 3 big guys like us completely fulled and slightly alcoholized:eek:.

I fully recommend this place, actually, I'm going to visit it in the next few days

Skipper

Skipper, 2 Ene 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Juan Alimaña, Jack Jericho y RT Gooch les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. Four of us visited La Choza Nautica last Sunday.

The food was outstanding, however, the service was worse than atrocious. In their defense, it was Sunday and they were slammed, but our waiter was clueless, and the food timing was non-existent. It even took us 20 minutes to get our check, and that was 0nly because we got up and walked out of the restaurant. This is strange, because my last two visits enjoyed great service. Those were on slow weekdays, however.

The manager's response to our complaints: "Sorry." I have no clue if she decided that we were tourists, so screw us, or if she just didn't give a shit. But my friend was local, and I, um, eat in Lima a lot. Neither of will go back. It's not like there isn't delicious food elsewhere, and even the the usual lento service at many places is 1,000,000 times better than what we put up with.

Anyway, here's the food that finally came: some mini causas, clams al limon, stuffed crab claws, mussels, chicharron de pescado, delicia de cangrejo (cebiche topped with crab meat), and there were also some crabs hidden in there, a cooked fish dish that I didn't get the name of, and a combination jalea (mixed fried seafood) and cebiche. With a few pitchers of frozen drinks, the tab was 240 soles... a bargain for all that food; I hope they enjoyed our money because they won't see any more of it soon.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 3 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Juan Alimaña y Jack Jericho les gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Teniente

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience with the service at this place. I was planning on going back there for their parihuela, but now will avoid going there on a weekend.

The food does look delicious. Thanks for the pics.

Juan

Juan Alimaña, 3 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Just go across the street to Puerto Norte, JA. They stuff their rocotos with seafood!

Also, maybe the service in their Lince location is better.

RT Gooch, 4 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Juan Alimaña

Teniente

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    Hey RT,

Thanks for reminding me of Puerto Norte. I do have a weakness for good rocoto rellenos. The seafood version sounds tempting.

I usually pass through the area on the Metropolitano Bus B when I go from Miraflores to Los Olivos.

Juan

Juan Alimaña, 5 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

Compartir esta página