Two Restaurant Questions

Tema en 'Food and Restaurants' iniciado por RT Gooch, 13 Oct 2006.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Good evening. RT here.

I just ate in a nice restaurant, and on the check was 'Cubierto' for 8 Soles.

I **thought** that was a bread charge, but I didn't have any bread. So, my first question is:

What the heck is a Cubierto? As far as I can tell, it is simply a charge for the privilege of eating in their restaurant. Grrrr. :mad:

Second question is tipping: Since service is included (I think at 10%), is it just appropriate to match the service and bring them up to 20%, or is there some sort of formula?

Thanks!

RT Gooch, 13 Oct 2006

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

ElecTroll

Usuario Baneado.

BANEADO
    15%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Con un pié en la zona de baneo...Y el otro en la d
    Hi RT, I think with “cubierto” the restaurant charges for making a table with fresh linen, clean cutlery and immaculate chinaware (I hope it was so…) available. It’s usual in Italy, where you need at least an MBA to understand the check…
    With the tips above the included service I also would go up to additional 10% to honor real good attention and have done good experiences with it.

Cheers!

ElecTroll, 14 Oct 2006

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Homo_Lo_Gato

MASTER MEMBER
    75%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Acechando, oculto, en la selva de cemento.
    Well, Let's see if I can clear things to you:

1.- "Cubierto" literally means silverware (even if it is not silver but stainless steel), and ElecTroll is right, it is the charge for the linen, the cutlery, the chinaware, table, seat, etc. It is the way most fancy restaurants protect themselves against the guy who comes in and asks just for "a glass of water...on the rocks" or so to speak. Most small restaurants don't charge for "cubierto" for obvious reasons.

2.- The 10% charge for "service" is actually the tip. There is a law about it, it is not a tax and, if charged, it is distributed between all the waiters; l
    aw requires "service", when charged, to appear separately in the invoice since the restaurant will not charge IGV (VAT) nor pay income tax for it. Therefore, if you are not charged with "service", a 10% tip will do; if you are charged 10% "service", you do not have to tip your waiter or waitress unless you consider that his or her service deserves more than 10%. It is usually useless, anyway, because in most places the additional tips are all gathered and distributed between all the waiters too. That is why it is customary to leave 0nly the coins in your change as additional tip; that is also why they usually put a lot of coins in your change.

Don't mistake the "service" charge with the IGV (VAT). The IGV is 19% nowadays, but it is included in the price shown in the menu. Even if in your invoice it might appear separately, or not at all, law requires the price in the menu to include it.

Homo_Lo_Gato, 14 Oct 2006

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Compartir esta página