Chicha de Jora...

Tema en 'Food and Restaurants' iniciado por Jack Jericho, 26 Feb 2010.

Jack Jericho

MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

32%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    MODERATORS NOTE: The first two posts in this thread were excerpted from LatinaLover's February, 2010 field report

The fermented corn drink is "Chicha de Jora" (pronouced Ho-rah, with the 'hard' Spanish 'J'), not to be confused with "Chicha morada" (Purple Chicha) which is a non alcoholic beverage also made of corn. It is a typical and very ancient alcoholic beverage of the peruvian Andes, it was used in Inca religious ceremonies much like wine in modern Catholic Mass. Its taste acidity and alcohol content varies quite a lot depending of the region; the one you tried at El Rocoto, a restaurant specialized in food from Arequipa, is the Southern Andes variety which is also the one I like the most. It is very strange though to find a foreigner, or even a peruvian from the coast, who likes it.

Jack Jericho, 26 Feb 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Jack Jericho

MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

32%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    As I posted in your report of day 4/5, the "corn beer" you liked so much is called "Chicha de Jora", too bad you didn't ask for its name at the forum while you still were in Lima. But you won't find it easily in Lima, it is served almost 0nly in restaurants specialized in typical food from the Andes regions. Very hard to find it anywhere else.

Jack Jericho, 26 Feb 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I was in Surquillo Mercado #2 today (just past Av. Angamos by Via Expressa), and I saw this in one of the tiendas. Somehow, I remembered this discussion and shot the photo below. I have a friend that says it is available in many similar mercados throughout the city.
    [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 15 Nov 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho le gusta esto.

Compartir esta página