Astrid y Gaston / Miraflores / 'Nouvelle' Peruvian Cuisine

Tema en 'Food and Restaurants' iniciado por Homo_Lo_Gato, 15 Ene 2007.

Homo_Lo_Gato

MASTER MEMBER
    75%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Acechando, oculto, en la selva de cemento.
    Last month I went with a lady friend to Astrid & Gaston. The food was exceptionally good as well as the quality of the attention from the staff.
    The total bill for two Pisco Sour, two apetizers, two main courses, two desserts and a bottle of peruvian white wine (Tacama - Blanco de Blancos) was a little more than $100.00 (S/.340.00 actually); and worth every cent of it.

Homo_Lo_Gato, 15 Ene 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    MODERATOR'S NOTE: The first five posts in this thread have been cut out from a thread called Gaston's Restaurants???? This restaurant should have its own thread.

ASTRID Y GASTON
    Calle Cantaurias 175, Miraflores
    242-4422 / 242-5387 - Reservations are strongly encouraged
    Open daily for Lunch & Dinner from 12:30 to 3:30 and 7:45 to 11:45
    Closed Sundays
    http://www.astridygaston.com

[​IMG]

RT Gooch, 15 Ene 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    From a recent visit to Astrid y Gaston in Miraflores (I did not have a reservation, so I ate at the bar), here are the olives that they put in front of me when I sat down, the Pulpo al Cilandro, and the Saltado Otonal, which was really a Tacu Tacu with both fish and seafood in the Saltado mix.

Both dishes were perfect, and the main course was so big that I couldn't finish it. The service at the bar is not what I have come to expect from Astrid y Gaston, but that's why I like to sit at a table.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 10 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I visited Astrid y Gaston during both my May and August trips. The place is expensive by Peruvian standards, but, boy... you get what you pay for. Everything was more than fabulous. I was so overwhelmed in August that I took some really crappy pictures, and forgot to take some others. These pictures are the mixed causa appetizer, the scallops appetizer and the lomo saltado. I forget what else we had in May. In August we had the causa appetizer again, some sort of raviolis in a great sauce, a fish dish, and -- if I remember correctly -- a veal cheek that was marinaded/cooked for 20 hours before serving. I tried my friend's veal cheek, and I *almost* regretted ordering anything else in my entire two weeks in Lima. As always, click to enlarge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 3 Sep 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho le gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. Below is the receipt for our dinner referenced above. Click on it to enlarge.

The reason I am posting this is -- aside from this being the best 110 dollars we spent all week -- notice that we were not charged a cubierto (cover charge). I am pretty sure that this has been added to my check in the past, so this can certainly be considered 'addition by subtraction'.

[​IMG]

RT Gooch, 9 Sep 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A LordDPeru, Juan Alimaña y Jack Jericho les gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    Hey RT,
    According to the receipt, "prices include taxes and service." Does that mean that the tip is included or just the cubierto charge?

Juan

Juan Alimaña, 10 Sep 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Hi JA. RT here.

The check included the 'normal' 10% service charge that is included at all restaurants. If I remember correctly, we gave them 310 Soles. The 19 extra soles is just around the additional 5% that is customary at nicer restaurants.

As far as I can tell, there was no cubierto charge. Normally, it is included as a line item. I wasn't about to say, "Hey! You forgot to add a totally meaningless charge to our check."

Here, you can see a receipt from a different restaurant (write-up to come), where the cubierto has been added. Click to enlarge slightly.

[​IMG]

Astrid y Gaston charges enough for their food; I guess that they don't need the extra five bucks per person. Or maybe, they just forgot.

RT Gooch, 10 Sep 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    RT,
    I customarily tip 10% in Peru. If the 10% propina is already included "at all restaurants" in Lima, that means I've been tipping 20%.

The damned cubierto charge got me in trouble once when the wife found a receipt from La Mar. The receipt listed 2 cubiertos and I had to nervously explain (lie) about that ridiculous charge. Had to tell her that I was charged once at the bar while waiting for my table and again when I was seated at my table.

Juan

Juan Alimaña, 11 Sep 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I like you, Juan... you think quick on your feet! :D I remember when you first told me that story.

If you put aside the little lunch places for a second, just about all of the 'better' restaurants include 10% for servicio in the menu price. And in every one of them, the non-tourist crowd just about always leaves some cash on top of the check... usually, whatever coins come back when you pay with bills.

The one exception that I have noticed is at La Mar (more problems for you there... you should just avoid the place). Their prices do NOT include any servicio. However, the blackboards, and the check all indicate that (I believe that they say, "Que vivan las propinas!").

There was a thread a while back where we discussed the entire tipping situation. Homo Lo Gato's post (#4 in the thread) pretty much sums it up.

RT Gooch, 11 Sep 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Juan Alimaña y Darth Plagueis les gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    Thanks, RT. HLG's post was very helpful, and also post #6 in the same thread. I honestly didn't realize that servicio also meant propina. I expected the propina to be listed as a separate line item.

Juan

Juan Alimaña, 12 Sep 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here.

Well, Gaston debuted the 'new' Astrid y Gaston the other day at its new location in San Isidro, Casa Moreyra. It was a big-time gala with all of the creme de la creme attending, and having a great time, as far as I can tell. This blog post has a lot of photos from the event.

You can click here for an article that talks about the new project... it seems that Gaston wants to jump 13 places on the 'best restaurants in the world list.' I hope that he does.

That official Grand Opening for the public is March 12. I will try to get a reservation from my upcoming trip and report back, but I may have to wait until May.

I found this eight-minute interview with Gaston (in English!!!) where he talks about the new place, and Peruvian food in general. At the very end, he even addresses the "Gaston For President" discussion.

RT Gooch, 23 Feb 2014

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho le gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I have been to Astrid y Gaston a few times since they moved last year. They have two restaurants -- the one with the tasting menu, and the "bar"-- which is nothing like a bar... there's a full, gourmet menu. Here's some bar pictures:

March, 2014: Shot of the building, Courtesy items, Causa, Clams a la Chalaca, some sort of wonderful Croquettes, and then Scallops Saltado.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

From May, 2015: Langostinos Saltado, and then Hummus. After that, my date and I split the Arroz con Pato. And a couple of shots of the kitchen.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

From November, 2015: A Scallop dish (don't remember what), Langostino Croquettes, Aeropuerto (which was -- as far as I can tell -- really good fried rice), and finally, the Chocolate Bomb.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

From last week: Free stuff to start, Langostino Croquettes (again), the whole Fish with Vegetables, and the Chocolate Bomb (again)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 27 Dic 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Juan Alimaña y vidiapol les gusta esto.

vidiapol

Platinium Member

95%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Género:
    Femenino

¡¡¡Im craving for that Chocolate Bomb!!!

Mmmhh mmmmhhh mmmhhh :p

vidiapol, 29 Dic 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    I took the top senora on a date here some time ago. I don't remember the name of our main courses but one was beef and the other chicken - both were excellent.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Juan Alimaña, 30 Dic 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Compartir esta página