Sargento Pimienta / Barranco / Rock and Roll

Tema en 'Pubs & Discos' iniciado por RT Gooch, 8 Ago 2010.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Sargento Pimienta
    Av. Bolognesi 757
    Barranco - 998247015
    http://www.sargentopimienta.net

RT here. I loved this club. It would go out of business immediately in the United States, mostly because I loved this club, and I am certainly not the prototypical club customer.

Luckily, this place is in Barranco, not Florida. It's your classic rock and roll club... You've got a big room with a stage along one wall, and a second, smaller room in the back. There's an upstairs balcony, which is probably good for band (and people) watching, but it was closed the night we went.

We visited on a Thursday at around midnight. No band, no cover. A very large beer for my date was 10 soles, and a bottle of water set me back two more.

The music? Well, they bill themselves as playing Rock from the 60s through today. And that's what they did during the hour that we were there: The Rolling Stones, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Beach Boys, and some new stuff that I kinda knew, but couldn't tell you who they were. When we decided to leave, we wanted to wait until there was a song we could bear to walk out on, and it took four more songs.

The atmosphere was pretty laid-back, smoking was allowed, and I'm pretty sure that I smelled something burning that wasn't exactly tobacco.

Note that this is in no way a hooker bar. All of the customers were either couples or groups out to party. The crowd's age (except for me) was way, way under 30 years old. This is not a place that I would go to with any hope of picking up a girl, but luckily I brought my own with me. No one seemed to pay much notice to the old guy sucking face with his date. I may have been older than the average, but we certainly were not the 0nly couple that couldn't wait to get home to show its affection.

I get the feeling that most nights, no band is the norm, but they had some flyers for band nights. It would be local groups, not any famous acts. For example, a Rolling Stones cover band was scheduled for one night (entrada: 8 soles).

Sgt. Pimienta is not on the strip with all the bars in Barranco (by the plaza), but a little bit away. The cabdrivers know Av. Bolognesi, and can get you about a block away from there.

To put the icing on the cake, the 'snack bar' is a branch of the sandwich shop Alf. The 'real' Alf is in Surquillo, and opens at 10 at night until early in the morning to accommodate the late-night munchies. And their sandwiches are delicious. The menu at the club branch seemed to be the same as the one in their flagship location.

I will go back to the club again... I like the music, and if the mood hit me to dance, well, its rock and roll, and even I can dance to rock without embarrassing myself. It's a good place to take a date -- if she's not into techno or stuff like that. The drinks are cheap, the music's good and it's not too loud to preclude conversation. And, you get to go somewhere that's off the gringo path.

RT Gooch, 8 Ago 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A gunslinger y Juan Alimaña les gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    It was probably incense. :)

Old rock music not too loud, laid back atmosphere, inexpensive drinks - sounds like my kind of place to take my date to.

Thanks,
    Juan

Juan Alimaña, 9 Ago 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

gunslinger

PREMIER
    49%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Yeah, right. :cool:

gunslinger, 9 Ago 2010

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. After a delicious Dinner right around the corner at AmorAmar last week, my date and I went to Sgt. Pimienta for their "Salute to CBGB."

[​IMG]

They basically used it as an excuse to get an '80s New Wave/Punk/Pop Cover Band up on stage.

We had a great time. The two-hour set covered Iggy Pop, Blondie, The Ramones, Talking Heads, The Clash, Patti Smith, the Police, the B-52s, and probably one or two more artists. I'm not sure that anyone on stage (or hardly anyone except me in the audience) spoke a lick of English and knew what the songs were about (my date had no clue, but she loved it), but everyone had a good time.

The place was pretty full, there was *some* eye candy, but this really wasn't a pick-up situation. If you're of the proper age, I suppose anything can happen, but I would strike out there if I was hunting for Pussy. There's no indoor smoking any longer, so it was a pleasure, even with the crowd.

The cover for the night's 'special event' was 25 soles per person, and drinks were cheap. My 2 sol per round tip got me preferential treatment in the back bar all evening.

I was by far the oldest person in the building, but did not feel at all uncomfortable. We were all there for the music.

You should add them on your Facebook account, and go some night. You won't regret it.

RT Gooch, 21 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Juan Alimaña y Sergio Armani les gusta esto.

Compartir esta página