Spirit to add a Ft. Lauderdale-Lima Route?

Tema en 'SHOPPING & TRAVEL' iniciado por RT Gooch, 25 Feb 2007.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Good afternoon. RT here. I just about creamed in my pants when I read this in yesterday's paper:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica] http://www.sun-sentinel.com/busines...,0,2420484.story?coll=sfla-business-headlines [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]AIRLINES[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spirit wants to add Peru flights[/FONT] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]Nonstops would leave daily from Fort Lauderdale[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]By Glenn Singer
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel

February 24, 2007

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]Miramar-based Spirit Airlines wants to fly to Peru from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport with daily nonstops to Lima and Chiclayo. Service could begin as early as May if U.S. and Peruvian officials approve the plan.

Spirit also has asked the U.S. Department of Transportation for permission to serve Trinidad and Tobago in the southern Caribbean with nonstops from Fort Lauderdale -- an extension of the airline's goal to serve much of the region at lower fares than its competitors.

"We've been considering Peru for about two years. Looking at the passenger traffic alone, this is one of the largest potential markets we don't serve," said Barry Biffle, Spirit's chief marketing officer.

While three airlines fly from Miami to Lima, fares are high and seats sometimes hard to get, Biffle said, noting there are some 20,000 Peruvians in Broward County who might use the proposed route.

"We've found that providing lower-priced seats encourages a lot of people to fly, many for the first time," Biffle said. He said that could be the case with Peruvian residents who otherwise could not afford to travel between their country and the United States.

Spirit envisions daily, low-fare service to Lima, using one of its new Airbus A319 aircraft with 144 seats, according to its application. The company will not specify fares until it receives at least U.S. approval.

The decision to fly to Chiclayo on the northern coastal plain of Peru is a bit of a gamble because there are no direct flights between that city and South Florida and no firm way to determine what passenger traffic would be. Now, fliers headed to Chiclayo must stop in Lima first.

Chiclayo, which is Peru's fourth-largest city, has 2 million people within a three-hour drive, and that holds great potential for nonstop service to the United States, Biffle said. Initially, flights would be once or twice a week and would begin in June or July.

Spirit received U.S. approval in November to fly to Caracas, Venezuela, as its first South American destination. Approval by Venezuelan authorities is pending, and the airline has not set a start date for service from Fort Lauderdale.

The airline's plan to fly to Trinidad and Tobago projects one flight a day during the summer and perhaps a flight on three or four days a week during other times of the year. If approved, service could begin in mid-May, Biffle said.

Glenn Singer can be reached at [email protected] or 561-243-6612.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica] Copyright © 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel [/FONT]

A lowfare airline AND I don't have to schlep down to Miami? I have died and gone to heaven! :cool: :p :cool:

RT Gooch, 25 Feb 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

ComputerGuy

Recluta

97%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    It would be great to have a low-price option to Lima.

ComputerGuy, 26 Feb 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

finecannibal

Recluta

20%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I am happy to hear that spirit airlines will be flying into Chiclayo Peru.
    I had an apartment at Pimentel Beach (grest surfing in the north of Peru). BUt what is even better and cheaper are the prostitutes. StarLight on the panamerican highway has some beautiful Colombia Girls and Girls from the Selva (Amazon). But there is a place a few miles offroad from Starlight. They have a motel like setup (Motel 6), there are girls that can be had for $7.00 for 15 minutes. I had me a Brazilian an Peruvian for $50.00 for an hour. I may move to Chiclayo again Permanently. Rented a beach house for $270.00 per month (3) bedroom on the beach.. Stepped out on the sand at my front door. Great surfing and the weather is warm all year around.

finecannibal, 11 Jun 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

TinTin

Soldado

90%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Hola!

I flew Spirit recently down to Lima. They are an absolute clusterf*ck of an airline and I cannot possibly recommend them. If you have to travel on them I would suggest the following rules if you wish to stay (relatively) sane:

1) Do NOT check any bags and ensure your bag is right above your head;
    2) Try and 0nly do a straight flight, avoid Spirit connections like the plague;
    3) If you cannot avoid a connection do not connect with less than 90 minutes between flights;
    4) You must check in at the minumum time they describe or you WILL be bumped. The computer will not allow them any discretion;
    5) Check and double check fares and taxes. They are not always the cheapest unless you get one of their "deals". For instance Lima has a departure tax of $32 which American has in their ticket but Spirit does not;
    6) If you want to eat take your own food. They do not serve any food. 0nly snacks which they charge for. $4 Pringles anyone on a 5 hour flight? They also charge for any liquid other than water;
    7) When they start calling the zones for boarding just go straight on, everyone else does;
    8) If you want any semblance of customer service, fly someone else.

Good luck!

TinTin

TinTin, 24 Jul 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. They recently added a Ft. Lauderdale - Santo Domingo route, and I can confirm that they suck as well.

It's a shame -- I was happy with the option, but not happy enough to let them ruin my trips.

RT Gooch, 24 Jul 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

jimmybuffett

Recluta

7%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    damn..

I hate reading this..

I have a flight booked on spirit from lauderdale to lima august 7th...

I booked it because it is a non-stop to lima...

I am supposed to have the "BIG FRONT SEAT" reserved and paid for both ways but the websight would 0nly allow me to reserve a seat on the return flight...

I will post a report if I get the ambition..

hopefully the lima chicas will make me forget about a bad flight upon my arrival..

I plan on being at tequilla rock about midnight august 7th looking for a date..

maybe I will get lucky

jimmybuffett, 24 Jul 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I'd rather take a shitty flight to Lima than not go to Lima at all.

Have fun; report back.

RT Gooch, 25 Jul 2007

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I just completed my most recent trip to Lima on Spirit. It was my first time on this route. Amazingly, I didn't hate every second.

By the time I was done paying for bags and the Big Front Seat, the price was comparable to the sale prices on Lan and Copa (when you can grab them).

The big plus for me was that it left from Ft. Lauderdale, so it was a 10-minute cab ride from my house. Check-in on both ends went quickly, and the flights were more or less on time.

The down sides were that I was 0nly allowed one bag (couldn't pay for a second checked bag, even if I wanted), and it was limited to 40 pounds. I assumed that it was the standard 50 pound allowance, so they got me for an additional $25 each way.

The 0nly other scummy thing they did (aside from charging for water), was constantly trying to sell me Group 2 plane access. I kept turning it down, and it turned out that when you buy a Big Front Seat, it comes with Group 2 access. So they were trying to sell me something I already had purchased.

As an extra bonus, I Uber-ed both ways from the airport, and that went well, too.

RT Gooch, 20 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Compartir esta página