Punto Azul / Miraflores / Cevicheria

Tema en 'Food and Restaurants' iniciado por RT Gooch, 21 Ene 2009.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Punto Azul
    San Martin 595
    Miraflores – 445-8078
    Also four other locations around Lima (see below)
    http://puntoazulrestaurante.com/
    Open daily for lunch 0nly - Closed Mondays
    Link to thread in Spanish Forum

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last May, I rented an apartment about 150 feet from this restaurant. I saw that the restaurant enjoyed steady traffic, but I never got around to eating there. I just mentally filed the restaurant for future reference. It is in Miraflores, and hell, I’m in Miraflores 90% of the time, too.

Then, just yesterday, I was dropping my laundry off (it’s a good way to store clothes for my next trip) and realized that a) I was right next door to Punto Azul and b) it was lunchtime.

The second item was a no-brainer, as was evidenced by the crowd of people milling about in front of the restaurant. I finally got the attention of the hostess, told her I was eating alone, and received a ‘seating ticket’ and was told it would be 20 minutes for my table. It took 25 minutes to be seated, and there was still a wait for a table when I left at 2:00 pm.

As far as I can tell, there are three ‘levels’ of cebicherias in Lima – the street corner/Mercado types, the High End places (La Mar, La Red, Pescados Capitales, etc.), and the Mid-Priced options, like El Pez On and Punto Azul. Part of me wants to say that ‘you get what you pay for’ – especially in the high- vs. low-end places. You’re paying for a higher quality of fish, higher rents, quite possibly more hygienic installations, advertising, and the like. It’s a little more difficult to see the difference between the mid- and high-priced places, at least for me. In cases like this, I believe that you’re paying for reputation more than anything else. At Costanera, for example, the cebiche was delicious, but not more so than at El Pez On, and it probably cost 20 Soles less. OK, the hostess wasn’t as pretty as the two at Puerto Mancora, but there’s plenty of pretty girls walking around Miraflores, so I didn’t mind.

That last paragraph is a lot of words to say that the food was excellent at Punto Azul, and I felt that I got a bargain in the process. I don’t think that I’m alone in that opinion – there was a 20 minute wait for a table on a Tuesday.

My problem in these places is that I always order too much, thinking I will just ‘sample;’, and then I wind up scarfing down everything that is not bolted to the table. Along with my pitcher of chicha morada, I ordered Chicharron de Pescado & Calamar and Arroz con Mariscos. When I placed my order, the waiter said, “You know, the fish and calamari are plenty for any normal person.” I thanked him for sharing, and continued on my gluttonous path.

Both dishes were delicious. I ate some of the calamari and fish first, as they were piping hot, and didn’t hold the heat very long. The waiter was right; there was plenty. The other dish was equally good – I wound up picking out all the seafood and leaving over half the rice. And miracle of miracles – I was able to get a whole bucket of ice for my drink by just asking the one time! That usually takes an Act of Congress all by itself.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The three dishes ran a total of either 43 or 46 Soles (another thing you’re not paying for at Punto Azul is a computerized receipt), I don’t remember which. The chicha was six Soles, and both the dishes fit into the 18-25 Sol price range of almost everything there. I’m used to paying 29 to 40 Soles for this quality food, so that’s a substantial savings, based on your percentage of Soles spent.

One of the waitresses must have pissed off the manager, because it was this poor girl’s job to walk around the restaurant with the dessert tray and offer it to every table. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but I didn’t see anyone order a dish from her. She has to go home all bummed out every day after hearing ‘no’ a thousand times, I suppose.

[​IMG]

Usually, I don’t outright recommend a restaurant – I let the reader decide for himself. But I wholeheartedly recommend Punto Azul. The combination of location, food quality and price is unbeatable. Hell, even if it wasn’t, I would go back just to get another pitcher of ice.

RT Gooch, 21 Ene 2009

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I went through my notes. The total was 43 Soles.

RT Gooch, 22 Ene 2009

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Richard Xtreme

Cabo

30%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I totally recommend this place as well.... The wait is a hassle but worth it.. I'm definitely going there my next trip..

Richard Xtreme, 23 Ene 2009

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Marathon Hombre

Recluta

77%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    If you walk up San Martin about 3 blocks to block 8, past Grimaldo del Solar, you'll see a white building on your left called La Isla del Mono. In my opinion it is superior to Punto Azul in atmosphere, service and food. Try the Causa del Mono, a yellow potato sandwich stuffed with fish and toped with slice red onion soaked in limon. Prices are about the same as Punto Azul.

I like Punto Azul a lot but I prefer a less hectic dining experience.

Marathon Hombre, 21 Abr 2009

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Homo_Lo_Gato le gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I have been negligent in posting photos from Punto Azul... I eat there a lot.

Here's the Ceviche Punto Azul. It's your basic ceviche mixto (all different seafood), covered in a rocoto sauce, rather than the normal lime juice. Here are before and after pictures, so you can see what's involved.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 25 Mar 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho y electro les gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    Hey guys,
    I had the chance to visit this place too some time ago. It's a popular restaurant with tourists. I would say 50-60% of the clientele were tourists the Saturday I ate there. I had to wait outside about 20-25 min. before I was seated upstairs.
    Below are Aji de Gallina, Arroz con Mariscos, and the Causa. All very delicious.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Juan Alimaña, 25 Mar 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho y RT Gooch les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Here's a Parihuela from May. Awesome.

[​IMG]

RT Gooch, 3 Ago 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Ossobuco le gusta esto.

Zephyrous

Usuario Baneado.

BANEADO
    100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    cachar mujeres bien despachadas
    Highly recomended, one of the best places with the ideal combination of location, food quality and prices.

Zephyrous, 4 Ago 2011

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Ossobuco y RT Gooch les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    From February... I was feeling Oriental, so I had a Sushi Roll, except they used causa instead of rice, and (I think it was called) Cebiche Oriental. The roll was stuffed with cooked salmon, avocado and (I think) cream cheese, and the cebiche was in a sauce with a heavy sesame flavor. They were both very good and filling.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That's my new Kindle in the upper left hand corner of the first photo... I am really happy with it.

RT Gooch, 12 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Juan Alimaña y Jack Jericho les gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    Hey RT,
    Did you wait long to get a table? The food is great there, but waiting for a table turns me off. I guess I'm too impatient.

Juan

Juan Alimaña, 14 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I went early, like about 12:15. I had to work all morning in the apartment, so it doubled as breakfast, too.

RT Gooch, 14 Mar 2012

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here.

According to the signs in the window (I took this 20 minutes ago), Punto Azul on Av. San Martin is now open for dinner on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

[​IMG]

RT Gooch, 10 May 2013

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho, Ossobuco y Darth Malgus les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. As I reported above, Punto Azul now serves Dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. One night last trip, my eating schedule got all screwed up, and I didn't start to even think about Dinner until about 10:00. Punto Azul was on my corner, so in I went.

They have a separate menu for Dinner with less items on it, but I got the impression that they would make you anything you asked for, if you knew their menu and asked nicely. I was happy to stick to what they offered me.

On thing that isn't on the lunch menu are the small plates. There were about a half-dozen of them, and I ordered two to start.

[​IMG]

You are looking at Eggplant Parmigiana (if I remember correctly) and a Brochette of Fish with A Lo Macho Sauce. Both were freshly made and delicious. They also would have been enough food for a late-night dinner for a normal person, or for me if I wasn't out of control.

Since I am Out of Control, I also ordered a main course, Pescado A Lo Macho.

[​IMG]

This is a Fish Filet smothered in a not very spicy sauce filled with mixed Seafood. Normally, the filet is fried, but I asked the waiter to have the chef grill the fish for me. That was no problem at all.

There were two whole filets under the mound of seafood. I ate it all, but I had trouble waddling to my next stop of the evening.

And not 0nly was it all delicious, it was fairly cheap.

[​IMG]

The Appetizers were 9 Soles each, and the main dish (enough for two normal people with leftovers) was 31 soles. This was Way Too Much Food for twenty dollars.

Punto Azul is cash-0nly, so keep that in mind. There was no line for Dinner, which was a pleasure.

RT Gooch, 29 Sep 2013

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Beatem

Sargento

51%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Género:
    Masculino
    I've eaten at Punto Azul many times, it is one of my favourite restaurants. At the same time, I still don't understand why people in Peru don't eat seafood at night?

Beatem, 1 Oct 2013

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

joe1015

Soldado

60%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Lima has hundreds of cevicherias and seafood restaurants. Punto Azul is one of the seafood joints that I keep going back to. I've been to the location in miraflores and the one in Surco. My favorite dishes are the causa de langostinos(pic above in juan alimana's post, it looks like a big yellow goldfish cracker), Jalea mixto de camarones y calamari(battered and fried shrimps and squid) and the pescado a la chorillana(cooked filet of fish which is covered in a sauce with lots of onions, tomatoes and sliced aji, with a side of camote or sweet potato. Their Chicha morada is the best I have drank even compared to high end restaurants.

joe1015, 8 Oct 2013

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho y RT Gooch les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. BIG NEWS!

Punto Azul now accepts credit cards (Visa & Mastercard). They've entered the 1980s!!!!

I made them my first Lima stop last night. Had an old favorite -- Cebiche Mixto en Salsa de Rocoto and a Sudado de Mariscos (I ddin't want to get all messy with a Crab in the Parihuela). Click to enlarge.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I couldn't have said it better, Joe. While I was eating last night, I was thinking that -- since they now serve Dinner -- there's not a lot of reasons I couldn't eat every meal there. The food is great, they have a large menu (including Arroz con Pato), and the prices are right.

But I feel that way in a lot of restaurants!

RT Gooch, 14 Dic 2014

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho, Juan Alimaña y LoXoCo les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I agree with me. As do apparently, a lot of other people.

Last Friday at 1:15 pm (prime time), I was walking down Av. San Martin, and I checked out first, Embarcadero 41, El Pez On, and finally, Punto Azul. E41 has a stellar reputation (I think that I heard that they just opened a Miami outpost), and El Pez On has its following as well.

But yet, check out the 'crowds' at the first two places, and compare it to the masses trying to get into Punto Azul. As always, click to enlarge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was willing to wait the 40 minutes, and was well-rewarded. Here's a Cebiche Punto Azul (just Pescado) and a Pulpo a la Parilla.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 28 Dic 2014

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Juan Alimaña y Jack Jericho les gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    I'm so glad Punto Azul is open until Midnight. It was late, cold, and I just wanted a hot Parihuela.
    Below are the Parihuela with the Crab on the side, and an avocado salad. Also, pictured is the complimentary chifles and cancha with a mildly hot aji.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Juan Alimaña, 3 Jul 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho, RT Gooch y Sergio Armani les gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Crab on the side... that's genius!

Did you invent that? You should get an award.

RT Gooch, 3 Jul 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho le gusta esto.

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    LOL. No, I just make a big mess when I eat the crab right out of my bowl. Plus, in a lapse in judgement, I put on my nicest white shirt to eat pariehula (just kidding).

P.S. It was Friday night and patrons were still coming in right before midnight!
    P.S.S. The hostess was hot! She was wearing tight black pants that showed a great ass and legs!

Juan Alimaña, 4 Jul 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch y Jack Jericho les gusta esto.

Compartir esta página