Restaurant Tips & Taxes... one more time

Tema en 'Food and Restaurants' iniciado por RT Gooch, 19 May 2008.

RT Gooch

MODERADOR GLOBAL MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Good afternoon. RT here. I know that we covered this once before, but I am still confused.

It was my understanding that the prices on the menus in restaurants was inclusive of taxes and a 10% tip, and then it was up to your discretion whether or not to leave an additional propina.

I was in an excellent restaurant Saturday night (review to follow). The menu said that the prices included taxes (IGV) and 'servicio'. Then the check came. It was (as expected) for 199.20 Soles.

It first listed the items with the menu prices. So far, so good.

Then, the following:
    SUBTOTAL...........160.65
    DSCTO.................... 0.00
    I.G.V...................... 30.51
    % SERVICIO............ 8.04

TOTAL S/. ..........199.20

I get the IGV, that's 19%. But the 'servicio' was 0nly 5%, not 10%.

I paid with a credit card and added another 15 Soles to the price before I looked at the Boleta detail. Once I saw the detail, I was confused. I spoke with the hostess (perfect English; no language barrier there), she said that the 5% was a tax and not the tip. The meal and service were superb, so I gave her another 20 Soles and asked her to give it to the waiter and explain our confusion.

I'm not all that concerned about the extra tip, as much as I am bothered that I may still not understand this system. Can someone please help with an explanation?

Thanks.

RT Gooch, 19 May 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Jeepers, it gets worse. I'm going through all of my receipts now.

So I take these two young ladies to this wonderful Italian restaurant that was recommended to me by Homo_Lo_Gato. Dinner was fine, and he was right to recommend it.

Here's the details on their receipt:

TARJETAS..........136.50
    VALOR VTA. .......114.71
    I.G.V. 19%.............21.79

If I read this right, then NO tip was included. If so, I can't show my face around there again, because I 0nly added a small amount to the credit card bill.

Help help help help.

RT Gooch, 19 May 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

gunslinger

PREMIER
    49%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Hi RT,

Let me check with my accountant on this one, and get back to you with an answer.

Regards,

Gunslinger

gunslinger, 19 May 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Homo_Lo_Gato

MASTER MEMBER
    75%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Acechando, oculto, en la selva de cemento.
    As far as I know, the law requires the menus in restaurants to be inclusive of taxes and also of service when applicable. However, it must be remembered that not all restaurants are required to include "servicio" in their bills but, those which are, are required to mention it on the menu as a footnote; so you have to look for it in the menu if you want to know whether "servicio" is included or not. Small restaurants are not required to charge for "servicio" so the tip you give to the waiter is all the tip they get.
    The "servicio" is not a tax, in the sense that no part of it goes to the SUNAT (peruvian IRS) but, since it is mandatory by law, most of them refer to it as "a tax". Also I take it that not all the personnel receives a cut from that mandatory "servicio" (p.e. I believe the hostess doesn't) and I am certain that those who do don't collect it at the end of the day but on payday; however, all tips collected in cash are usually put in a common pot and distributed at the end of every shift, so they will always try to get some "extra" tip in that pot.

As for the 5% rate, it is a surprise for me too, I'll have to investigate the matter. Maybe it depends on the rating of the restaurant. Restaurants are rated just as hotels are (one star, two stars... five stars) although I believe they are no rated in "stars" but in "forks". I am not sure about that last detail but that they are rated... they are rated.

Well... I assume you are speaking of El Italiano in Santa Catalina. If so, you are right; they are not rated high enough to include "servicio" in the bill. Which is proof (if proof was ever needed) that the best food is not necessarily found in the most expensive and high rated places. El Italiano falls in the category of "hueco"; that is, an excellent food, atmosphere and attention, in a little known place out of the tourist circuit... for those "in the know".

However I don't think you should worry about tipping too low. They are not so much used to the "american" idea of a reasonable tip but to the "peruvian" tipping customs; so I am pretty sure that your "small amount" has been well received. I did much worse: last thursday I went to this beautiful restaurant in Little Italy (NYC-USA), had a superb dinner for two, paid with my credit card... and totally forgot to tip; it is fortunate that I am not going back to NYC anytime soon.

A piece of advice, though: in places that do not charge "servicio" (I am talking Peru now) it is best to tip in cash, the waiters will be happier with a small or regular tip in cash than with a more generous one in plastic.

Homo_Lo_Gato, 20 May 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

gunslinger

PREMIER
    49%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Hey RT,

After HLG thorough reply, my accountant's report falls short, even looks ludicrous.

Anyway, I'm always around, eager to help out.

Gunslinger

gunslinger, 23 May 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Zizu

Sargento

7%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Hello my friends well seems that my experience can be helpful in this one....i was a maitre d in a restaurant overseas for almost 5 years so here we go......ok guys just one tip for all of you, when the service is included in the bill and this is 0nly 5% or sometimes 10% do not ask the host or the waiter if this means the tip is included beacuse most of them will tell you that is just an extra tax or a restaurant tax, beacuse they all expect at least 15% of the bill amount as a tip so they will do anything to get that amount from you...even if this means lie to you to get the extra tip, this happens in the USA, mexico and of course in Peru too....these are the places where i worked and i learn this stuff when i was just a waiter....so guys be aware when servicio is included in your bill, that means the tip is there....but if is 0nly 5% of course the waiter or the hostes will try to get more from you in case you ask...so play it simple if you beleive that they deserve it and 5% is not enough just give extra tip, if not just leave it there but never and i repeat never!!!!!! ask your waiter or the host if the tip is included, they will play smart on you guys....ok? so you are all warned now!!! hope this was helpful....and any other tip like these just ask me.....saludos

Zizu, 23 May 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. Thanks for the answers...
    Well, this joint would have been six stars (or forks or whatever) out of five. I don't remember the name right now -- I will PM it to you.

I think that I left ten soles additional on the credit card. Right you were about the restaurant.

Duly noted, and an excellent suggestion. From now on, cash it is.

PS - When I go to New York, I will deny all knowledge of you. You should be safe.

RT Gooch, 23 May 2008

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I just re-read this thread.

It's been almost six years; I'm sure that they are no longer angry at me here. Maybe it's time to go back on my next trip.

Any takers? Jack, maybe?

RT Gooch, 23 Feb 2014

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho le gusta esto.

Jack Jericho

MODERADOR MASTER MEMBER Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

31%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Why not? It seems an interesting option.

[​IMG]

Jack Jericho, 24 Feb 2014

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A RT Gooch le gusta esto.

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    RT here. I don't have a dead horse to beat, so I'm back to discussing tips.

Last week, I went to Alfresco's in Miraflores for Dinner. Everything went well (and the hostess was cute).

When the check came, it clearly stated that the tip was not included (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]

In case you can't read Spanish, it was right there in English, too.

Now, I just don't get it. What's the deal with the tips in nicer restaurants? It wasn't like my service was extra good or anything. I didn't feel like they were working harder for tips. I just don't know. Anyone?

Thanks.

RT Gooch, 23 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Sergio Armani

Platinium Member

72%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Patel de choclo 39 soles! ...and 0nly for one person, come on tell where exactly is this place rt, so I know where not to go to eat dessert :)

Sergio Armani, 24 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    It wasn't a Dessert, Dorian. It was my Appetizer.

And it came with Pulpo.

I will post on the restaurant later, but here's what it was. And it was excellent. (click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

RT Gooch, 24 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    No doubt this is Alfresco's management response to customers inquiries about tips. Maybe there's recent history of tip confusion. I hope the wait staff are not expecting more than 10%.

Juan Alimaña, 25 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Do you think that they would outright lie in writing, JA? Or do you believe that -- out of all the nicer restaurants I've been to in Lima, 0nly this one and La Mar don't include tips in their pricing?

I know that some of the gringo-centric places tap dance around the tipping issue, but to put it right on the check... that's a little over the top, if not true.

RT Gooch, 26 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

Juan Alimaña

Platinium Member

62%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    Profesión:
    Negocios
    Apparently they do not include tipping in their pricing. I find it tacky for a "fancy" restaurant to reference tipping on the check - this is more in accord with more modest establishments where a significant # of customers unacustomed to tipping stiff the waiters.

Juan Alimaña, 27 May 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

rsp85

Cabo

85%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I lol'd.

In all seriousness, and RT can answer this one, does it really taste better than the ones from Tanta and/or Chicha? The latter was spectacular and worth 30 soles (2014, at the one in Cusco), and Tanta's pastel de choclo is small (elevated price from 12 to 15 soles) yet pretty damn good enough for a small snack/appetizer.

rsp85, 2 Jun 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

RT Gooch

GOLDEN BOY MEMBER

Cuenta Verificada

Warrior

100%
    Me Gusta recibidos:
    Puntos de trofeo:
    I've never had either of those, rsp. I have 0nly recently discovered Pastel de Choclo as a food item, so I am still getting my feet wet, as it were.

I can tell you that this one was good, but I also enjoyed the one at Lima 27 (this most recent trip), and I had one at Pizza Mavery about a year ago that I liked, too. So maybe my taste buds aren't discriminating enough yet.

Click to enlarge. This is the one from Lima 27.
    [​IMG]

RT Gooch, 2 Jun 2015

¿Quieres

Caletitas Reales
    Mejor Contenido
    Más Diversión

?

A Jack Jericho le gusta esto.

Compartir esta página